10 to 19 April. Olivia Chan and volunteer, Wong Lee Sin, visited the region to catch up with local partners, review ongoing projects and explore further areas of needs. First stop was Santa House in Koriyama where Tsuboi Sensei and his team have been distributing safe drinking water to families with expecting mothers and young children since the onset of the Daiichi nuclear plant meltdown.
We also visited towns nearer to the Daiichi nuclear plant such as Tomioka, Okuma and Namie. Local communities are still living in uncertainty over the risks of exposure to the radiation fallout. Evacuees in Tomioka have been told to move back to their former homes but only 30% are willing to do so. More info at http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/03/31/national/evacuation-orders-lifted-three-fukushima-areas-residents-slow-return/#.WS_BptwlH3g. Meanwhile, NGOs work together with local communities to monitor hotspots and to carry out research on ways to reduce contamination and to de-contaminate themselves.
Following the 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami and the subsequent Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant meltdown, CREST in partnership with Fukushima Inochino Mizu and under the leadership of Tsuboi Sensei, has distributed drinking water to families in Koriyama until 2014. Last year, CREST sponsored the Children’s Christmas Party. This year, CREST sponsored the supply of utensils, appliances, furniture and equipment for the Grandma and Child Cafetaria (おばあちゃんと子ども食堂) that is scheduled to begin operating in June.
Following Typhoon Haiyan in 2013 and Hagupit in 2014, CREST Malaysia together with local partners have started livelihood projects in Tacloban, Leyte and Balagawan, South Leyte as follows:
1. 2 pedicab projects in Tacloban with Omega Emergency Response;
2. 1 tube ice making project in Tacloban with Omega Emergency Response;
3. Seaweed farming extension in Balagawan with Agape Rural Program, Inc. (ARP) under Cru Singapore.
1. Medical and evangelistic mission in Jipapad, Samar organized by Agape Rural Program, Inc. (ARP), 06 to 09 November.
2. Seaweed farming extension project monitoring and evaluation in Balagawan, South Leyte with ARP, 10 to 14 November.
3. Pedicab project evaluation in Tacloban, Leyte with Omega Emergency Response, 15 to 16 November.
17th December 2016 (Saturday) Santa House Christmas Party. 91 Children 43 guardian. In total 132 gathered together. Further detail information can be found at the HomePage and Facebook URL below.
Contents of Christmas Party…...